Search
  • Living Magazine

Your Healthy House



We all know the expression “home is where the heart is.” And our home is usually the place where we feel the safest. But in reality, many of our homes are not all that safe—and can potentially make us sick.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that many American homes have unhealthy conditions and hazards that include the following:

  • 1 in 16 have high radon levels.

  • 1 in 10 have water leaks.

  • 1 in 6 have structural problems.

  • 1 in 4 have lead-based paint, especially true of homes built in the 1970s or earlier.

  • 1 in 4do not have a working smoke alarm.

As with our physical health, there are numerous simple steps we can take to make our homes safer than perhaps they are at present.

KEEP A CLEAN HOUSE

It should seem obvious that regular cleaning is important. By removing dirt and germs, cleaning helps us stay healthy and makes our surroundings more pleasant. Involve everyone in the family in the process. Everyone should help, and you’ll cultivate a feeling of ownership and care too! Keeping clutter at bay is a good first step toward making the house easier to keep clean.

GET YOUR HOME TESTED

Two health hazards you cannot afford to ignore are lead paint and radon. Lead is known to cause brain damage in developing fetuses and children, while radon is a cancer- causing gas. If your home was built before 1978, you may want to call in a professional for lead paint testing.

Radon is odorless and tasteless and comes from the breakdown of rock and soil beneath your house, and any home old or new can have radon. For around $20 you can buy a radon tester at many hardware stores. Also, check the Environmental Protection Agency’s web site for “A Citizen’s Guide to Radon.”

BE PREPARED FOR FIRE

Have a smoke alarm in every room and test them monthly. It’s also not a bad idea to have a multipurpose fire extinguisher nearby. And if you have to use it, remember PASS:

  • Pull the pin.

  • Aim at the base of the fire.

  • Squeeze or press the handle.

  • Sweep the base of the fire from side to side until it goes out.

GET RID OF THE PESTS

If you find pests such as roaches, ants or rodents in your house, there are safe and healthy ways to deal with them without resorting to pesticides. (Overexposure to certain pesticides can be harmful, especially to younger children.)

  • Seal all cracks and other openings on the outside of your house to keep the pests out.

  • Clean up all food residue, put away leftover food, and seal the garbage to starve pests.

  • Fix leaks and wipe up spilled water so pests have nothing to drink.

WATCH OUT FOR MOLD

Many who blame their coughing and wheezing on pet dander or pollen are really reacting to mold spores in their homes. Mold flourishes in high humidity, so do all you can to keep household moisture under control. Keep an eye out for leaks of any kind and dripping faucets. And make sure that all space heaters, furnaces, gas logs, and fireplaces are properly calibrated and well vented. They not only produce carbon monoxide but can also drench the air with water vapor.

To check the humidity in your home, you might want to purchase a moisture meter (hygrometer), available at many hardware stores, and if the humidity in your home is higher than 50%, purchase a dehumidifier to tackle the problem.

A healthy home can make for healthy bodies, and we hope you that you can use these tips to make your house a healthy home for all living there.

#House

0 views
Advertise with Living Magazine!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

You’ll gain access to local promotions, special content not found in the pages of Living Magazine, giveaways, and other fun tidbits.